Thursday, November 23, 2006

100 years of...

Today thinking of what to write, stuck in mental deadlock, I came to the question of who I was writing to. Why the internet? Why an audience? As I thought more, I decided that ‘who I was writing to’ was a question of process and not of purpose. I am writing ‘to’ as in a goal, a direction. I am writing to be me, to define myself more closely and effectively, and to use method in writing to become something new. Isolation is a strange thing, but the calm power of selfhood gives the isolated the opportunity to find themselves in new ways and new places never thought of before.

I need to stop seeing myself as on screen, as under observation. I do this in my head to explain myself to passers by or potential encounters. I imagine my actions when alone as if being filmed, in order to externally explain my actions to whatever imagined force or person that I find. This becomes a form of self censorship, and I need to learn to be myself, not to tell good stories or make poetic pictures, but to make myself.

Duncan

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home