Monday, March 05, 2007

Tone deaf

I feel a sense of muteness, of being tuned/toned/turned down by my surroundings. I don’t want to be transformed by the daily unrelent of predetermined acceptable terms for engaging myself: I am also tired of being told I am not happy with my life. Both feelings concern the way in which I mentally perceive the conditions under which I engage the world. I feel as if I should be have to interpret the things that happen as part of my life on their own terms, with out the impetus to transform "hysterical misery into everyday unhappiness" if the opportunity requires it. Sometimes embracing hysterical misery is important to understanding the conditions of existence and experience. Revolution, more than anything, concerns how we perceive the meaning of change: an end, or a means. Reform as part of institutional change doesn’t imply that revolution is necessary, the only problem arises when we allow reformism to dominate the understanding of what change means. The same applies to life on the whole: existence looses meaning when we allow acceptance of the status quo to dominate our understanding of what it means to be happy.

Duncan

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home